Sunken path beside house

Reaction score
There is a concrete path beside my house, part of which has just cracked to reveal a 6 inch gap beneath the concrete and the ground below. There is no evidence of damage to any of the brickwork of the house itself, but I'm wondering what to do about it. Anyone know if this is a common problem, and any suggestions as to what I should do next - any help appreciated,

Cheers, Kevin

Irv

Reaction score
Just a guess, but it might just be due to settling of ground which was loosened when the foundation was dug. Or - it might be that the ground beneath the walk has been washed away by a leaking water pipe*. It would be wise to check to confirm that isn't the cause before filling the gap.

*Could be water from roof gutters, or just rain, in which case it should be re-routed. Could be water from your water authority (which means you're paying for it). That's why you check first.

Reaction score
Its just a mini version of how sinkholes form. This is extremely common with sidewalks and other poorly-planned concrete work. Its a product of insufficient drainage. The water finds its own path and takes material with it. When you replace the section, get a good drainage bed under it, like some gravel at the very least.

Ask a Question