Summerhouse roof?

Reaction score
Apologies if I've posted in the wrong forum.

I have just had a brand new 8X8 summer house installed, and noticed the roof felt is laid in strips.
Is there something I should cover the joins with (some sort of exterior tape), to stop the rain from getting under the joins?

Thanks in anticipation.

Bob

Edit...
Just Googling and found this...
Would it do the job?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi and welcome

If the strips are laid parallel then the bottom of the higher one should cover the top of the lower one and if they are glued or secured with flat headed roofing tacks, it should be fine.... for now.

If it's a "shed bought" summerhouse, then it's likely to have cheap roofing felt. This doesn't often last many years before it fails. The first you know of it sometimes, is you've a leak and some rot. It tears easily and the wind can get under it and rip it.
You'll be fine for now but keep an eye on it over the next few years.

The ideal felt is a thick non-tear polymer material.The sheds don't sell it, you have to get it from a roofing materials wholesaler.
The summerhouse in my avatar, I built in 1987. I changed the felt fifteen years ago as the branches of a tree we had then, had by rubbing on it, started to wear away the felt at one corner. I got rid of the tree and changed the felt, it's still in perfect condition.

It's down to personal preference, but I think tape looks unsightly, I prefer the lines to be "clean."

P1030158.JPG

This is it last year, still in perfect condition.

P1040374.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
thank you for your reply.
your summerhouse does look rather nice.
Mine is just the basic one with a sloping roof to the back.
It was only fitted last week, and I climbed up to look at the roof and that's when I became a bit concerned.
The felt is obviously in strips. with nails, I don't think they glued it down?
The roof can't be seen unless one climbs up, so not particularly concerned about the look of tape strips.
I just want a quick fix, for now, to prevent water from getting between them.
I have too much work in our home to have time to strip & recover. I'll worry about that in the future I think :D

Reaction score
Reaction score
For your peace of mind, in your situation, tape will be fine. I suggest using a wallpaper edge roller to make sure the edges of the tape adhere properly to the felt.

Reaction score
Thanks again DH.
Will I need a primer first, or is there a tape that will go straight onto felt OK?

Reaction score
This guy looks like he knows what he's doing, is he a member here? lol

Reaction score
Oh right.
Yes, it is green.
how does one get rid of the "sands" then, bearing in mind it is brand new?

Ask a Question