Stupid move with postcrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decide to build a poured concrete hearth but accidentally bought postcrete without checking the bag properly. After looking at some of the advice on the difference I decided to go ahead. Three weeks later the surface of the hearth is still powdery and a nail can disturb the surface. Stupid mistake I know. Can I just add an additional layer of proper concrete? I don't particularly want to set about removing 200kg of the stuff.
Comments along the lines of 'you should have used concrete' will not help my predicament...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Post Crete contains too much cement and is very far from the consistency of concrete. I would dust off the dry residue. Use diluted pva, (exactly the same as wood glue) to coat the post Crete. Then Build a perfectly secure and Square wooden frame around the existing base, and pour concrete on top, laying it off with a damp, straight metal strip such as a long spirit level. The only issue with this solution is that the hearth would need to be raised by at least one inch. Hope this helps

Reaction score
If it were me, I would hack off the top 100mm, treating the old concrete with a couple of coats of pva would be a good idea, shutter and recast the top 100mm of concrete.

Ask a Question