Strobe light modifications on burglar alarm

Reaction score
Hi , are there any alarm engineers or avid diy enthusiasts that could advise on what I’m proposing?
I am reasonably proficient with electronics etc. and have installed repaired several alarm systems.
So when an alarm is triggered it is normal for both the external siren and the strobe to be triggered, both in the alarm box. My equipment is an Accenta / Optima G4 panel and a Reson8 bell box.
Now by law the audible alarm has to be silenced after 15 to 20 mins to prevent annoyance to neighbours , but the strobe can carry on flashing. The reason being to tell the homeowner that the alarm has been triggered before he enters the property. Now this can be useful , say if you’ve been away overnight and returned the next day to find the strobe still flashing. However if you had gone away for a 2 week holiday and the alarm had been triggered, either falsely or via break in , then it is possible for the strobe to have been flashing for 2 weeks. Obviously drawing attention to the property and signalling all passers by that the property is probably unoccupied. So a detrimental feature in my opinion. So the reason for this post is to ask if anyone has modified there alarm such that the siren and strobe work in tandem. That is when the audible warning times out the strobe also times out. As I understand it the alarm panel sends a “hold off” signal the the bell box and when alarm is triggered this is removed which allows the box to into alarm mode. The bell box is an SAB and does have a jumper inside to select length of time siren will sound. The strobe however is trigggered by a seperate wire -STB ,and it is the alarm panel that maintains this signal indefinitely until the alarm is reset . The panel also has a timeout setting for the audible alarm but this is overridden by the jumper in the Reson8 for timing. My question is “ Could the wire from the alarm panel -STB going from panel to Reson8 ,be connected to the B terminal termed “-ve sounder trigger “ which I assume goes -ve when alarm triggered. I assume this line will timeout as per panel timer setting and would therefore deactivate both the siren and the strobe. Sorry if I’ve been a bit detailed in what I’m trying to achieve. Any advice appreciated. PS. I have seen in specs forpanel that it can supply up to 1 amp to external sounders etc. The specs for the sounder and strobe is well under this for the Reson8 box.

Ask a Question