• may need to monitor the crack

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_2777.JPG IMG_2778.JPG IMG_2790.JPG IMG_2791.JPG
Hello Everyone,

I recently saw a vertical crack 1-2mm wide in the middle of the main door entryway of my tenement building. The building is 120 years old and I am not sure if the crack was there before, I just can't remember. Does it look troublesome? Any advice would help thanks!

PS: the thing on the top entryway is a for sale sign and it has nothing to do with the crack.

Reaction score
tenementbuilding,

Suggest you "monitor" this crack over time, take a series of images, such as you have uploaded here and store them with dates attached, just to see if indeed there is any movement of this large lump of masonry.

From the image posted there is no reason for concern because, neither side of the lintel appears to have dropped below the other at the crack, that is when the alarm bells start to ping.

The monitoring can take a long time, for example if a property is being monitored [for Subsidence] --- which you do not have !!! the monitoring can be on-going for more than one year.

Some [typically Glasgow] properties have a skin or skim of a cementeous coloured material on main entrances it may??? be that material that has cracked??

Ken.

Ask a Question