Steam boiler sight glass water level problem.

Reaction score
I have a problem with sight glass level. A boiler is equipped with manual water adding. When I adding water to the boiler manually in the sight glass water rising to some level and stops despite the fact I've not stopped the water. If I do not stop adding water it will flood the boiler. When I unscrew the valve cartridge from the upper valve on sight glass, water in the glass raising and water speel from that valve. Manually I drain the water to the correct level, then install back valve cartridge. As soon as I install back cartridge, the water in the glass raising up and fill up the glass. When I remove the cartridge, water level lowering to correct level. Both valves on the glass I cleaned and water from boiler have a clean connection with glass tubing. Can you describe the problem, please?

Reaction score
You need to shut down the boiler until repaired. Steam boilers are the most dangerous appliance you can have in a house. Over filling with water can have disastrous results.

Obviously you do not have any water treatment and a lot of leaks if it is a closed system. This can cause a build up of minerals on surfaces. Need a lot more information to give much help except get the leaks stopped as a first step. I would invest in an automatic water feed system if it were mine. Low water is worse than high water as it can cause a boiler to explode. If it is cast iron that makes for a lot of nice shrapnel.

Possible sight glass fix W/O professional help: Drain down the boiler. Remove all the site glass components from the boiler and clean thoroughly. You may have plugged passages. If you detect mineral build up that is probably throughout the boiler and the system. Fixing that is probably beyond DIY unless boilers are your trade. type of boiler determines he fix.

What do you get out of the bottom drain valve? Explain what you call the valve cartridge?

Send some pictures. They tell a thousand words. Boiler were part of my trade back in my working days

Reaction score
Thank you for responded on my post. I will see this boiler on Tuesday and will do a few photos and try to explain more. You gave me an idea.

Last edited:

Ask a Question