Stairs wood split

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wood at the side of the steps has split.I attempted to solve it using Hard as nails a couple of screws and tree ties to hold it together till it dried...
I have Bodged it though.
Any ideas would be very Welcome.

Attachments

Reaction score
Need some more information.

Does weight on the stair tread increase the gap in the wood?

Is it already leaning towards the wall?

What was the purpose of the two screws in the stringer?

The tread and the riser will be let into the wood that is split.

Can you not get at the underside of the staircase?

You could drill a couple of holes through the top of the stringer as far as the split, then insert screws and try to draw up the bottom part. Though this might be difficult if you've put glue in there.

If there's a solid wall behind, you could drill through the stringer into the wall insert a plug, having removed the end of it so it passes through the wood and then screw it to the wall.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some more information.

Does weight on the stair tread increase the gap in the wood?

Is it already leaning towards the wall?

What was the purpose of the two screws in the stringer?

The tread and the riser will be let into the wood that is split.

Can you not get at the underside of the staircase?

You could drill a couple of holes through the top of the stringer as far as the split, then insert screws and try to draw up the bottom part. Though this might be difficult if you've put glue in there.

If there's a solid wall behind, you could drill through the stringer into the wall insert a plug, having removed the end of it so it passes through the wood and then screw it to the wall.
Thank you for your reply.
The screws were used along with tree tie to try get the wood together until the glue dried. I can't access the underside. I live in a converted Victorian Mansion converted in the 90s. All the walls are solid apart for the one by the steps it sounds hollow.However the other side is solid.

Attachments

Ask a Question