Solid kitchen wood worktops

Reaction score
Hi all, I have some solid ( I think ash) block type work tops, yes checked its real wood, however some numpty has applied a coat of varnish at some stage in the past. This has now gone all horrible and needs to come off.
I have two questions I think: - what is the best way to get the varnish off, assuming belt sander, will need to remove hob and taps etc?

What should I treat the naked wood surface with once I get it cleaned, I have been told some form of oil, do not want to stain the wood I like the natural finish, just need to water proof it.

Thanks in anticipation Gary.

Reaction score
Ash is a lovely wood (personal opinion) and I would be a little careful going at it with a belt sander. I would go with a decent varnish stripper and some wire wool to get the worst off. Then hand sand with increasingly fine sand paper. This should leave you with a nice smooth surface, it will take longer than a belt sander but the end result will be much nicer.

Using an oil is spot on for a kitchen worktop, I prefer polish on my restored furniture but where the kitchen can get a little wetter than else where so oil is a good shout. Something like Rustins Danish Oil should do the trick, I've used this before and had no complaints.

Hope it all goes well.

Reaction score
You can also put a good water proof ply over the rough surface of wood instead of applying oil over it, it will stain the wood.

Ask a Question