Sliding glass patio door replacement

Reaction score
I am planning or replacing a very old sliding glass door. The one delema I am having is when I look to see how to install them they all say screw the bottom frame down.. The problem I have is, it is mounted on a cement slab.. the old one looks like someone used those 22 cal nail gun and shot some nails through it and it looks as if it cracked the cement is some areas.. my question is does it have to be screwed down or are there alternative ways of doing it with some sort of strong adhesive/caulk ? If it must be screwed down what is the best way to accomplish this? I have looked on line but can't ever find where they are securing them to cement they all ways have a wood frame on the bottom.. any help/advice would be appreciated ! I am replacing the one now since it does not slide very well and is extremely drafty.

Thanks,
Simon

ps I can post pics of the one in there now if needed thanks

Reaction score
You could get away with an adhesive and probably never have a bit of a problem. But, if you don’t install the door to code you could be liable for a lot of problems if you are ever hit by a hurricane, wind storm or tornado. If a sliding glass door implodes it can help in lifting the roof off the house. Your homeowners insurance could get real stinky in the event they discovered your house wasn’t to code.

Reaction score
Country
United States
do you have a "hammer drill" (i have a rechargable DeWalt drill that happens to have a hammer drill setting). They go through cement with a cement bit super well, then put in a.... Trijicon? (sp) blue screw, easy peasy.

I wouldn't affix with any adhesive, you really want it to stay in place.

Ask a Question