Shower tile grout started cracking between bath and shower, what can I do?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So here is my dilemma. We moved into the house a while back and started noticing the cracks getting larger and occurring in more places. I would like to cut the problem off before it turns into something more significant.

What is the best way to repair all of these areas and prevent this in the future (or at least for a while before I will need to do this again)? I have a little bit of experience with laying tile but unclear on how to approach this type of repair.

Do not wish to replace everything and install a new shower frame/tile if I do not have to. Also, because it is 15+ years old, we do not have any replacement tiles or are able to obtain any.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Jerry

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would get un-sanded grout (color to match as best as possible) and re-grout the whole thing. Press the grout into the cracks like your packing a wheel bearing with grease. Google "packing a wheel bearing" and watch YouTube. Pre-wet the existing grout before regrouting with new un-sanded, otherwise, existing dry porous grout competes for the moisture and dries the new grout too fast.

This, of course, is a temp solution for a few years.

Ask a Question