Shower mixer not working

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Need a favour, I moved into a new flat (old flat I just moved in there), the shower mixer does not work, I cannot get any water to the shower head, the water pressure is good.

Can you please help me understand how to change the water supply from the tap to the shower head.

I have attached a couple of images to show the shower head. Let me know if you will need more information.

Much appreciated for your help.

Thanks.

Attachments

Reaction score
Just to clarify I cannot push down/pull up the stem valve completely though it moves a bit down, sorry for being so unclear that how much I know, I have just my diy hobby and I promise to contribute back to the forum however stupid my replies might be :) in some time.

Thanks.

Reaction score
So it sounds like a mechanical issue. Either the diverter mechanism inside has seized up, thus prevent you from moving the collar, or alternatively the collar has scaled up sufficiently to prevent you from fully adjusting the internal mechanism.

Either way I would suggest starting by trying to clean away any scale. If you can remove the hose perhaps try and get some limescale remover (not sure if De-scale acid would be a good idea on the internal brass mechanism) into the tap, and also clean up around the collar on the outside. From a supermarket I would suggest something like Viakal, but it might take a few applications.

If this gets it moving again I would recommend using a small amount of suitable lubricant in the collar to ensure some operation, and also regular treatment for the tap try and ensure it remains scale free.

Alternatively you might want to just replace the bath shower mixer, as they do eventually seize up. That particular style is not overly expensive.

Ask a Question