Shower faucet leaks when fully closed

Reaction score
I replaced the cartridge in my Delta shower (single handle) because it was dripping. No drip after that, but no hot water either.

Took it apart again to adjust the scald ring and now have hot water, but there’s a side effect. When I close the handle all the way the water doesn’t turn off all the way. If I back the handle up a little so the handle isn’t quite closed all the way the water shuts off completely.

any suggestions?

Reaction score
I can think of three possibilities. I have never owned a Delta faucet so these are just guesses. 1. You have the wrong cartridge. Does Delta have multiple cartridges? 2. The cartridge is installed upside down. Could that make a difference? 3. Did you lubricate the O-rings before installing? It is possible you damaged one of the rings during the repair.

Reaction score
I guess it's a matter of trial and error.
I know that the anti-scald ring can be a so and so to get right and if the handle is on splines, you might have to fiddle with them.
There is a moral to this.
Either mark things up before you take them apart, or get everything moved over to known positions like very hot and fully open, again before you get dismantling.
Delta is a well known make and you might get some information from their technical support website

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of the possible reasons for this is that the cartridge is installed incorrectly or the cartridge itself is not the right fit for your thing.

Ask a Question