Sanding Walls

Reaction score
Hi all, Hoping someone can me some advise on the best way to proceed.

I am looking to redecorate my front room, after removing all the wallpaper, i have noticed that the walls are very pitted, and where previous owners covered up the fireplace, they didnt exactly make a good job of it.

Parts of the wall is going to need filling, and then sanding, the fireplace is a large area in itself.

Which would be the best type of sander to use? I was thinking of using a belt sander, with varying grades from 40 upwards,

Appreciate it.

Reaction score
oh, dont know if it makes any difference, but the walls have been painted, and are going to be repainted over.

Reaction score
Hi all, Hoping someone can me some advise on the best way to proceed.

I am looking to redecorate my front room, after removing all the wallpaper, i have noticed that the walls are very pitted, and where previous owners covered up the fireplace, they didnt exactly make a good job of it.

Parts of the wall is going to need filling, and then sanding, the fireplace is a large area in itself.

Which would be the best type of sander to use? I was thinking of using a belt sander, with varying grades from 40 upwards,

Appreciate it.
To answer would need to know what material your walls are composed of (e.g. plaster, drywall, other wallboard, etc...?).

Reaction score
I am sure that you could use any kind of sander really, obviously the more expensive heavy duty ones might save you some time.

The coarseness will depend on the type of material you are trying to remove.

Reaction score
Would it not be a better idea to skim the wall? Then you get a perfect surface.

Reaction score
I think you will find that in the long run the best option would be to dot n dab, dryline and skim

Last edited:
Reaction score
It totally depends which type of material you want to remove and what is the status of the surface then only we suggesting if you wall surface very rough so use the up grade if you want to skim so use the low grade one.

Ask a Question