Rods stuck into the outside of my wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what you are talking about from those pictures. Is it possible for you to indicate by adding an arrow to your photo?

ColinA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They are cable clips with a nail about 1 inch long. You should be able to pull them out with a pair of pliers as they won't go straight through the wall. The same on the inside.

ColinA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And they have nothing to do with any damp problems....
I got side-tracked and meant to go further with my comments. It is not too easy to see in minute detail the pointing on that wall. Looking at picture number 3, it looks as though the pointing has been sloppily applied at some time. In places, there are marks where over generous use of mortar has been used and then removed. In addition, there appears to be separation of mortar from the brick on the lower join of the horizontal pointing. One or two of the vertical pointing around the dark wall stain seem to have separated too.

Last of all, the pattern of the bricks indicates a possible double skin wall without any cavity. Such builds are notorious for damp penetrating. In a house I owned in the 70s we had a similar wall and I had to seal it with a brush applied clear sealant. It worked, but needs refreshing every 5 to 7 years.

My advice is to get 3 professional builders to look at it and tell you what they would do and what price to sort it.

ColinA

Ask a Question