Ring floodlight install

Reaction score
Hi, I have a regular floodlight at the back corner of my garage that has a bush that has grown so much that it is useless at his point. I am wanting to put a ring floodlight over the cnter of my garage and here is my plan. Please let me know if there are any issues in my plans.
1. cut the power of course
2. Climb in the attic and cut the wire to the old floodlight and drag it towards the center of garage.
3 drop the wire into a junction box on the ceiling of the garage
4. Run a new ROMEX over to the the front and down the center through pvc conduit to a juntionbox on the inside wall.
here is where I feel "iffy"
5. Attach a mounting block to outsie vinyl and drill a hole in the center which goes into the junction box on the inner wall.
6. Push the ring wires thought he hole and attach them to the romex that is in the inner junction box. Adding a pigtail to the ground.
7. Silicone on the top and sides of the outer vinyl mounting block and camera.

Am I an idiot? Or is this ok?

Thanks
Mike

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sounds fine to me, and I've been an electrical contractor for 26yrs now. We might do it a bit differently, but what your proposing for your garage sounds fine. It was nice to see your itemized point #3 above, that is, you recognize the need for a junction box to splice existing wiring to new ROMEX. No, your no idiot....sounds good.

Reaction score
Sounds fine to me, and I've been an electrical contractor for 26yrs now. We might do it a bit differently, but what your proposing for your garage sounds fine. It was nice to see your itemized point #3 above, that is, you recognize the need for a junction box to splice existing wiring to new ROMEX. No, your no idiot....sounds good.
Thank you so much for the reply. I was waiting for this answer before I moved forward. Glad ro hear a seasonned electrician give the thumbs up. My wife although, questions your judgement since you said I was not an idiot.. haha
Thanks so much
Mike

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ha....my wife questions my sanity too. Good Luck with your project.

Reaction score
Hey, just wanted you to know that because of your help, it all is done and running great.. Thank you so much.. Now can you tell me how to keep our cat from dancing in front of the camera?? I think she knows that the alerts drive me crazy:)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
He, he....funny. Cats eyes look "spooky" when the loon into IR light lens at night. Cheers!

Ask a Question