Replacing Sink "Backsplash"

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!

I am an amateur handyman (working on my own home), and looking for some advice. I have a swollen backsplash (I'm not sure if that's the technical term for it, as it's not really protecting anything) on my island behind my sink (as shown in the photos). It's swollen enough that cleaning behind it is difficult. I plan to remove the elevated bar and supports, then remove the swollen piece and replace it (probably with a piece of solid wood). I would think that, after cutting the wood to size, water-sealing it in some way would be necessary, along with silicone sealing the joint. Do you have any suggestions as to things to watch out for, or steps or thoughts? Any further photos I can provide? Thank you!

Attachments

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

The only suggestions I have are thatI would use a good grade of plywood for the core material and I would inspect the entire area for any rot. Your plan sounds pretty good.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Country
United States
Water sealing is 100% necessary. Use only good materials and take your time with that or you might have some problems soon.

Ask a Question