Removing concrete pond

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having problems in trying to remove a concrete pond that was built by the previous owners.

I have drained the pond using a water pump and drilled a number of holes at the bottom of the pond using a jack hammer. I thought this would have meant any remaining water would quickly drain away, instead the remaining water is still there. In some instances I have drilled at least 7 to 8 inches below the concrete and the water just ends up filling the hole I created.

Is this expected? I have little knowledge of landscaping so was hoping for some advice.

I want to completely get rid of the pond and blend it in with the rest of the lawn but am worried this area will get waterlogged without adequate drainage.

Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How big is the pond? If you've got any photos that may help :).

The ground under a concrete pond will be extremely compacted, so even though you've got some drainage holes through the concrete it would take a long time for this to drain properly if you just fill it in and I suspect you'll always have problems. If possible, I'd break up as much as possible and try to remove it - or you're risking having problems further down the line.

How thick are the pond walls? As you've got a jack hammer you may be able to remove these reasonably easily and leave some of the base in place if it's problematic.

Reaction score
Thanks Ian.

Dimensions are approximately 2m x 1m and about 1m deep.

The sides are thick. Do you think removing them will make a big difference?

Reaction score
Ian is absolutely right. Remove as much as possible or you may find that you will have to dig it all up and start again. Yes, it's hard work, and all that rubbish has to be disposed of, but worth it in the end. Perhaps that jack hammer's not up to the job.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Why are you looking to get rid of the pond? Sounds like a great things to have in front of your home.

Ask a Question