Reinforcing Couch Frame

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently purchased a new sectional and it was cheaply made and I had assemble it. The parts that I feel needs reinforcing is the back part as it is only attached by 2 screws on each end.

Attached are some pictures:

Image 1 - is what is used to support the back part of couch

Image 2 - redline is where I may reinforce it as the back part of couch runs along the red line

Image 3 - possible reinforcing area

What screws should I use? Do I put an insert so the screw goes in thus making it removeable?
20191120_204412.jpg
20191120_205714.jpg
20191120_205019.jpg

Attachments

Reaction score
Not wishing to offend, but I've never seen such a poorly assembled piece of furniture. I can't see a screw anywhere.
If it were mine I'd make a complete frame out of 2" x 2". Just a rectangle with a cross piece or two, drill it and screw it to the original frame.

From the photos the wood looks very insubstantial. It's probably from "sustainable sources," i.e fast growing soft wood of low density.
I can't actually see a joint anywhere, not even a cross-halving joint.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not wishing to offend, but I've never seen such a poorly assembled piece of furniture. I can't see a screw anywhere.
If it were mine I'd make a complete frame out of 2" x 2". Just a rectangle with a cross piece or two, drill it and screw it to the original frame.

From the photos the wood looks very insubstantial. It's probably from "sustainable sources," i.e fast growing soft wood of low density.
I can't actually see a joint anywhere, not even a cross-halving joint.
No offence taken. I agree that it was poorly constructed. You suggest making a rectangular frame using 2x2 and attach it to the existing frame ? I've never done this type of work before but I'm willing to do what it takes to make it sturdy. As for the back support of the couch should I drill where I marked to add extra layer of support?

Ask a Question