Red neutral?

Reaction score
I decided to get rid of an illegal junction box. It has 2 circuits in it: Each feeds an old electric baseboard heater in 2 separate rooms. The box is fed from a 4-wire that comes straight from the panel and I can't find anything else attached to this circuit: Just the 2 baseboard heaters wired with 14/2. The old junction box has all 3 blacks wired together and all 3 grounds wired together but the 2 neutrals from the heaters are tied to the red wire from the 4-wire that feeds the box. I thought was odd?

I'd like to get rid of the heaters and put in wall outlets instead, but after moving the junction box to a legal location and running new wire to the new wall outlets I find that whenever I plug in the 3light circuit tester all 3 lights come on simultaneously. I can't even find a code for that?

Any help would be welcome.

Reaction score
Could it be that by using the red with the neutrals it doubles the voltage? Maybe the heaters needed 240 instead of 120?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lots of people wire up stuff without any sense. Sometimes they will use one of the hearts and then tape around the cable with a colored tape that indicates ground neutral or a hot. Either way make sure that it’s a neutral or a hot or a ground

Ask a Question