Rawlplug/wall plug length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm refitting a hand rail/bannister to the brick wall going up my stairs. It's fairly heavy and I've bought some new brackets but the screws seem a bit short (30mm) so I was going to buy some 60mm number 8 screws and use wall plugs. There will be 4 brackets, each with 3 screws. I was wondering does it matter what length the wall plugs are? The ones I have to fit number 8 screws are only about 30mm long, plus the depth of the brackets which are roughly 5mm, means I'll have 25mm of the screw beyond the end of the wall plugs. Does this matter as I can't seem to find any longer plugs that will be suitable for a number 8 (4mm diameter) screw? I've seen some people suggest putting in 2 plugs on top of each other. Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
SCREWS: From what I am reading, I personally think that 60mm is a perfect length. This way, you'll have 55mm into the brick.

PLUG: Doubling up on wall anchors I wouldn't do. Drill your hole into the brick wall the width and depth you need, if it isn't already. Take some scrap spruce or fir (what your wall are framed from) and break off (a dozen or so) small wedge-like splinters approx 2-3mm max diameter. Take a small hammer and start inserting them into the until they "bottom" out on the back of your 60mm+ hole. It might take 2 or 3 or these "splinters" to fill the hole. Nail them in as far as they'll go, break off the excess, chisel them flush to the brink. Now, in theory, you have exactly what a Rawl wall plug does, but custom to the hole, through-out it's depth. In fact, this works so well, sometimes you have predrill a small pilot hole (with a wood bit) as it becomes too tight.

In any case, if you keep your Rawl wall plugs, DO NOT DOWNSIZE THE SCREW FROM A #8 TO A #6.

Ask a Question