Question about ovens and the circuits they are on.

Reaction score
Currently with a landlord and landlady who have not got the oven on a seperate circuit and switch, which I previously believed was necessary. After looking on the internet, I have discovered that ovens over 2kW should be on separate circuits. Our oven does exceed this amount. When we asked our landlord about this, he said that the house was too old for the rewiring to be able to be done and therefore the oven would have to remain plugged into the mains even though turning the oven on has in the past, and more recently tripped our electricity. We no longer believe that it is safe to use the oven and would like to know from people more experienced than ourselves is there any truth to this or is he just trying to avoid putting in a separate circuit?
Any views would be appreciated. Thank-you.

Reaction score
Oven

Hi. Google The ultimatehandyman electrics. Can't put link here for some reason but you'll find the section on cookers a great help.
And no house and or flat is to old to be rewired (I trained as an electrician at Thorn EMI many moons ago) If that were the case then all our Victorian mansions would be derelict.
Like you I live in rented accommodation but have a great landlord who does not try to wriggle out of his responsibilities. Our neighbour rents their house too and like us they have grass in the back garden and so their landlord had to supply a lawn mower and a shed to keep it in.
Things have changed, for the better.
If you feel it's unsafe, call an electrician (certified only) if he agrees then you can force you landlord to make it safe. If he still refuses, go to your council and get them to get on his back as it’s a safety issue. I take it you have proof of rent as this means that he/they should be declaring your tenancy, if not....oops!

Reaction score
I agree with Bunsen. just seek an electrician for your safety sake.

Ask a Question