Problem with Outlet/Dimmer Light

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having a problem with a lightswitch, which is a dimmer. It's also connected to an outlet in the room. The switch has stopped working, and now neither plug in the outlet works either. Previously, one was controlled by the switch, but both were not. Any idea if this could be an easy problem to fix (new light switch? new outlet?) or if this is definitely a job for an electrician?

Slightly more info: I'm told the light flickered a few minutes before it went out. And yes, I have turned breaker on/off. There are also two other light switches in the group, but both of those work, so i'm guessing they're wired independantly...

Thanks for any help/suggestions

Mark in the Dark

Reaction score
update: ok, i was wrong. The top receptacle of the outlet still works, just the bottom one,
which you had to have the light switch on for, is off.

also, i've noted that the dimmer, which used a toggle switch is now much harder to move. Nothing comes on, but switch also is 'stickier'.

I'm thinking even if that isn't the entire problem, that will need to be replaced. I'm now wondering if I should try just replacing that dimmer switch or could something else be the problem?

Ask a Question