Pressure washing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Years ago I bought a Nilfisk 120 bar pressure washer and put it to good use; I even took it up on the roof ours being a bungalow; it was truly amazing the amount of dirt it removed but it came with a price; by the time I had pressure washed everything my back ached as did both my arms and the job took a lot of time and effort.

I've mentioned this previously but worth mentioning again now springtime is approaching. Bron started to use Morrisons cheap 21p vinegar to remove marks from our patio and having great success she decided to pour a bottle of the vinegar spreading it with a soft sweeping brush; she then went over with a small watering can of clean cold water and brushed this in; this brought the patio up like brand new and Bron had enjoyed doing this without much effort at all. We have a 42' long paved sloping pathway to the side of the bungalow and I usually pressure wash this twice yearly; Bron's just enjoyed using the vinegar on it and now she also uses a drop of washing up liquid; compared to pressure washing; brushing gently using vinegar/washing up liquid is vastly superior saving so much time and energy; no more long hose or power cord; no noise; no dragging the pressure washer around and no more aching back or arms. Our pressure washer now sits in the garden hut gathering spiders webs.

I hope this is of use; it works for us and Bron has come up with a brilliant solution. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Path cleaning_002.JPG

The top of our sloping pathway having been gone over twice with vinegar.

Path cleaning_003.JPG

The bottom of the same pathway untreated with vinegar; the top of the low wall has been treated and what a huge difference. Top marks to Bron for this. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've managed to take a picture of our patio it having dried at last. One thing I forgot to mention regarding pressure washing; it can kick up as much dirt as it removes and after pressure washing our paintwork needed cleaning having been badly splashed.

When I laid the patio 17 years ago I left decent sized gaps between the flags; these gaps were then filled with granite mortar mix; with settlement the joints occasional open a bit but its an easy enough job to redo the joints and if a middle flag ever needs lifting I don't have to smash it to get it out unlike our neighbour who butted his flags and is now unable to lift a flag without having to break it. Our flags are very heavy 3' x 2' x 2".

Kind regards, Colin.

Patio_001.JPG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm glad you posted that picture where some of the paving was untreated, as you can really see the difference. I bought some vinegar in when you mentioned this last time, so I'll give it a go in April when it starts to warm up. We get a lot of green algae after each winter, so I'm sure it'll help with that (and make it a lot less slippy!).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Ian. I'm sure once springtime arrives all the heavy gardening kit will be dusted down to be used in anger including pressure washers.

You could try treating a single paving flag with vinegar as an experiment it only takes a few minutes. Your vinegar will be a good vintage come April; good luck. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question