Pressure washing roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For a while we've been troubled by moss from our bungalow roof on our patio and pathway making a mess. On Monday I decided to sort it once and for all; in spite of the usual rain I took the pressure washer; hose and cable onto the roof then I donned my waterproofs. It was an incredibly messy job and time consuming being rained on and being blown around in the wind but I did two thirds during the morning and finished off in the afternoon. The bulk of the dirty debris was blown into the garden but I'd had enough so called it a day.

Tuesday was a day of cleaning; what a mess; the patio looked like slurry filled farmyard; it was incredible the amount of dirt; bird droppings and moss I had removed; the gutters were filled and blocked too; a massive clean up sorted it out so we're very tidy once again. It must be 8 years since I last did this but this time I've only pressure washed the rear of the roof the front of the roof was much cleaner so could be left as is.

I don't recommend anyone to pressure wash a roof in this manner; it could prove lethal; I was safe due to the low 12.5 degree roof pitch but I did get fed up of having my face washed with filthy water; good job I kept my mouth closed.

I also pressure washed the chimney; I built the chimney a few years ago; my wife and I installed the roofs 30 years ago; the main roof now looks brand new once again and now at the age of 73 I think it unlikely I'll want to tackle this filthy job in another 8 years.

Kind regards, Colin.

Sept 2020_0004.JPG

Pressure washing underway; the rain and wind kept me cool but I no longer care; if I want to do a job I'll do it.

Sept 2020_0006.JPG

Some of the debris still to clean up Tuesday morning; it was incredible how dirty the roof really was.

Roof Sept 2020 (1).JPG

Just like brand new again; I had wonderful views across the valley through rain; wind and dirt splattered glasses; just a normal day living here. It's been worth it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Welcome to the forum greatideas.

Thanks; just water from the outside tap coupled to the pressure washer with hose pipe. No detergents or cleaners just the power of pressure washing.

Please note our bungalow roof has a very shallow 12.5 degree pitch making it reasonably safe to be pressure washed; I wouldn't advise it as a DIY job because it could be highly dangerous.

It's amazing the amount of dirt that builds up on a roof over the years.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for welcoming me.

I thought you used any detergents or cleaners. I Will give this a try but I think I will be needing a highly pressurized host.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You're most welcome.

Only water was used but you need a pressure washer to give the high water pressure needed;

Above is the type of pressure washer I used but isn't intended for pressure washing a roof because it's too dangerous; I can pressure wash our roof because of the low roof pitch but even so I'm an experienced DIY'er.

Company's can pressure wash your roof they having correct equipment but it won't be cheap;

If you have a standard roof pitch please don't attempt to do the job yourself you could suffer a serious accident.

My pressure washer is a Nilfisk similar to this but I've had mine quite a few years;

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7460870?clickSR=slp:term:nilfisk pressure washers:2:37:1

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
I've been offered a roof pressure washing service several times, but have always declined.
We do get a fair bit of moss on our roof as we have rough-finished concrete tiles. But the moss dies off in hot weather and then it's just a case of cleaning the gutters once a year, or leave it for a heavy downpour and it clears itself.

I avoid going on the roof if possdible as the houses in this road are all nearly sixty years old.

I did re-cement the ridge tiles about 30 years ago and about twenty years ago pulled out the flue tube and replaced the cowl on the chimney when we did away with the back boiler and had a combi put in the kitchen and the back boiler changed to a gas fire in the lounge.

A few owners in our road had their roofs pressure washed ten years ago and it created such a mess no one has had it done since. Some have had new tiles, but they were probably talked into it. The majority of the 100 houses still have their original tiles, which must tell you something. No leaks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your interesting post Doghouse. :)

I couldn't agree with you more; yes pressure washing a roof is incredibly filthy but it's surprising just how much dirt is above our head.

It's about 8 years since I last pressure washed our roof and the dirt and moss has been building up again; the birds are just manure spreaders adding to the unsightly mess. We became fed up of lumps of dirty wet moss all over the patio and pathway every time it rained and was windy so I decided to clear the lot at one go. I dislike pressure washing our roof; it makes me ache and having to lift the pressure washer with extension power lead and hose pipe it's not a pleasant job.

I too avoid as much as possible going onto the roof because of the risk to the tiles; I managed to break the corner from a tile the last time I did the pressure washing. In spite of it being such a totally unpleasant job I'm pleased I've done it and the roof looks brand new again.

If a roof is in good repair and water tight it's best left well alone; our former neighbours next door openly laughed at us 30 years ago when we told them we were replacing both our roofs ourselves due to water ingress and unable to afford to get someone in; they thought it was a huge joke.

They did watch as work proceeded it taking us two very heavy weeks to install the roofs; no sooner had we finished they were straight round this time saying what a wonderful job we'd done and would we replace their roofs? They had just started to experience water ingress so poetic justice after making fun of us. I explained in great detail why we chose the type of roofing tile we did (Marley Wessex) due to the 12.5 degree roof pitch and I even showed them a spare tile; being tight fisted they had plain cheapest tiles installed and shortly after sold the bungalow leaving a trail of roofing misery.

There's been nothing but trouble with the roof since they left and it still leaks; the bungalow is now sold again subject to contract so more new neighbours will be adopting the roof problem; it will never be good until the correct tiles are installed.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question