Power to garden Room.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i need power to a Garden Room i've built its 10 metres from the back of the house. The original connection before was a socket in the garage about another 5 metres. Could the socket that was used before be rplace with this item (RCD Spur White 13A 30mA plastic socket , item number 48767 on toolstation) then run a cable from this to a small consumer unit in Garden Room. There will be between 6 and 8 sockets in the room and 3 LED lights on a lighting circuit. My Main consumer unit for the house is a 17th edition one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, you definitely can replace it. RCD Spur White plastic socket is a good choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could the socket that was used before be rplace with this item (RCD Spur White 13A 30mA plastic socket , item number 48767 on toolstation)
Yes, but not much point to having an RCD, as there's no guarantee that any fault would trip that rather than the one in the house CU - either or both could trip, the fact that the spur is "downstream" of the CU makes no difference.

then run a cable from this
Should be an armoured cable - needs to be properly terminated

I'd always advise earth nuts instead of banjos https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Earthing_Index/Piranhna_Earth_Nuts/

to a small consumer unit in Garden Room.
Absolutely no point to that whatsoever - the supply to the garden room is limited to 13A by the FCU. Just use a 5A FCU for the lights.

There will be between 6 and 8 sockets in the room
Remember you are limited to 13A for everything.

Ask a Question