Plumbing Materials Susceptible to Freezing; copper/stainless steel/galvanized

Reaction score
We just had a hard freeze and one of the fittings in my outside spicket plumbing failed when the line froze. The pipes were wrapped with insulation and I even to the added additional measure and add a towel.

My question is, there an exterior plumbing material that is more susceptible to handling cold/freeze. Typically they use copper for the lines and brass for the spicket in our area. I have used galvanized pipe in the past, but as we all know over time it will rust. I thought about using stainless steel fittings since it won’t rust, and is much stronger than copper.

I spent some time on the internet looking for anything regarding stainless steel. Found several sites that sold stainless steel plumbing parts. The stainless steel is a little more costly, but to me, if it will handle the cold better and reduce the chance of the pipe/fitting failing it will be worth it.

Reaction score
I have run "alkethene" (plastic pipe )down the length of my garage un-lagged (it does freeze in winter) but thaws out without any problems although in a very severe frost you will find that anything that cannot stretch enough to allow the ice to expand will split. Best to install a valve inside and a drain at the lowest point outside.
Pete

Ask a Question