Plug socket?

Reaction score
Is it OK to fit a 3 pin socket to take a Power-Line plug in my loft using lighting cable?
I need to run an Ethernet cable from that to my Router just below it in the landing.
Hope that makes sense?

Reaction score
In the UK, you can't be much of a "home electrician" these days since 2001. Unqualified installation of elecrical circuits is against th law and in the event of an accident can invalidate your insurance.

You have to remember that there's always the possibility that a later date someone might plug a 2kw fire, or something just as unsuitable into the socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Here in the UK only limited work can be carried out on electrics by a DIY'er; for other work it has to be carried out by a "Competent Person".

I fully agree with Doghouse; a 3 pin socket at 13A needs correct cable usually 2.4mm T&E.

Using lightweight cable could also result in a fire if overloaded. If in doubt call in a sparky to do the job correctly and whilst here have the sparky check your other sockets are wired correctly; it only takes a few minutes using a socket tester; it's quite a while ago I used my socket tester which is one of these;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/kewtech-...rc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container

Play safely because electricity doesn't take prisoners.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
thank you guys.
you have made me realise the follies of my way.:oops:
So I'm going to take a spur from the plug my router is plugged into, and run a 2.5 cable into the loft for the... back box pattress. Single 1 gang switched socket I have.
That should be OK with you, shouldn't it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

On a DIY forum such as this diybob it's highly unlikely any competent person on electrics would openly post advice as to how to work on mains circuits; it's just too dangerous and the person posting could be responsible should an accident or electrocution occur.

There are lots of levels in DIY skills from a total novice to the more skilled; in this situation it's safest to assume total novice.

You intend to take the spur from the plug? Do you mean the socket you plug your router in to? If so you need to determine how the socket is actually connected; is it in a ring main; is the socket already a spur either taken from the ring main by connecting into a ring main socket or is it a spur taken from a ring main via a junction box; with electricity you need to be absolutely sure and certain regarding what you are doing. I always encourage novices as much as possible but only in safe practices; a novice and mains electrics are a poor combination.

There are YouTube videos on installing spurs and this is as far as I'll go on the subject; I'm not recommending in any way you do this job just pointing you to the videos for information.

MAINS ELECTRICITY SHOULD DEFINITELY BE ISOLATED FROM SUPPLY AND DOUBLE CHECKED BY TESTING THAT IT IS INDEED TURNED OFF BEFORE ANY WORK IS CARRIED OUT: TWO ALTERNATIVES: SAFE OR DEAD.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
thank you Colin.
I fully apreciate your concern.

I do always turn off at the mains
i was a gas fitter for years (retired now).
I had a few courses many years ago, so have a we bit of knowledge etc. But I didn't take Part P within my ACS exams. Just ACS cost me an arm & a leg.

In answer to your questions...
Yes I did intend to take a spur from the actual box that my router is connected too.
And it is on a ring main, not a spur.:)
And always do turn off at the mains distribution board.
but it's great that someone like yourself should be concerned enough to look out for dummies like myself. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You're most welcome diybob. :)

We do need to be very careful on open forums regarding advice and information; forums like this are great in helping novices but novices are open to all kinds of advice and as you'll know what works for one could injure another; I cringe when I see some of the unsafe practices shown on YouTube videos; a classic is to see a saw bench used without riving knife installed; crown guard should also be installed but often this isn't practical and has to be removed anyway for certain sawing operations. I'm at home and always feel safe around big industrial machinery but I was taught as an apprentice not to poke a machine with a finger whilst the machine was under power.

It's one thing getting a nick from a power or hand tool but electrocution is final; electricity can't be seen unless I'm using something like my oscilloscope; I'm also very careful whilst handling electrolytic capacitors; these can give a nasty shock even whilst power is isolated; a big fully charged capacitor is unpleasant if charged.

It's better to walk away than to be carried away; enjoy DIY but enjoy it safely and if it looks unsafe it is unsafe; I'm now 72 and have had a few lucky escapes but I was taught common sense; I hope I'm not preaching.

I'm currently learning TIG welding; I've been arc and gas welding for 55 years but TIG is totally new to me; it's an expensive hobby but I like new challenges; TIG welding is rather out of normal DIY so I joined a dedicated welding forum;

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/blown-my-welder-up.94007/

I didn't know certain brake cleaning fluid when used as a degreaser could kill me if used on material to be TIG welded; new challenges give new safety concerns so if I'm doing something new and I'm unsure I'll always research before jumping in;

You did the right thing to ask first diybob; well done.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question