Pella window defect (weep holes)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone have a similar problem I had with their Pella vinyl windows?
Purchased 4 Pella vinyl windows from Lowes in FL late 2020 did not receive for several weeks due to Covid (everyone loves to blame.

Installation crew was considerate and did thew job adequately, we have a cinder block house and the old windows were, old . Thought new windows with impact resistance would be the right thing.

So finally had a heavy rain and the water started backing up into the house! around the edges of the widow onto the drywall and under the flooring on all 4 windows!!! Frantic my wife and I are mopping up water off the sills all nite. Notice that water is building up in a trough below a plastic cover that should lead to the weep hole's , so stay with me, I take the small covers off the weep holes (in the rain) thinking they are not functioning properly, No help.

So a night lost, and we make the call to Pella service and they send out a tech fairly quickly (hooray) in the meantime my wife is able to suck out of the trough approx. 40oz of water!

the tech arrives and I explain the plight of these none functioning windows and he pops the cover off the "troughs" and says the "weep holes are not drilled out" I'm floored as a mfg. eng. that is a product failure and should be recalled!!! Shouldn't one mold in the weep hole for proper functionality? or factory drill out the weep holes so not to penetrate below the trough and cause the water to accumulate below the widow on the sill?

Service had no help not covered under warranty now I have to pay to replace drywall and flooring?

PELLA is a HORRID company, and have a HORRID product they do not back up!!

Again all 4 windows had this problem how many more are out there waiting for a good rain and cause mold and other damage to one's home.

Time to go to the next forum I can find and reprint this sad accounting of a company.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, I am sorry to hear about that.....and I am not a Pella salesman.....electrician actually.

However, weep holes are more for venting, not to act as a thorough-way for water. I suspect the flashing above your window isn't right. Windows are not impervious to direct streams of water.

I hope they help you.

Regards. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
They so far have not acknowledged an issue , which is surprising, sure weep holes are for venting but when they are an integral part of the window system, and cannot function as they were never opened it makes for a defect...

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That's true.....they need to of been opened.

Anyways, I hope it works out for you....I had a water-softener leak about 20years ago that harmed some drywall in our basement.....and OMG!!!! When SALTY water soaks into drywall......it makes a MASSIVE mess.

Good Luck!

Ask a Question