Painting matt over silk emulsion

Reaction score
Hi. I have come across problems painting matt over silk emulsion. I am trying to cover cream walls with a rather less creamy shade so thought two coats should cover it easily. But the finish is terrible -- the bits done with a roller look all patchy, especially when the sun shines on it, and the same with the bits done by brush, like the coving, it all looks very uneven. I have now put four coats on it but no improvement. I have looked on various sites and realise now that it was a bad idea to paint matt over silk, but the problems others had are different from mine - like a crackling effect, which I, fortunately, have not experienced. I am using good quality Dulux emulsion. Has anyone had similar problems? What is the best opiton at this stage? I have not got time to strip down all the walls to the plaster and don't like a silk finish. Is there anything else I can do to solve the problem?

Reaction score
I see this is quite an old thread, but again, painting over silk emultion, I am having a similar issue. It was originally a magnolia silk finish in the bathroom over a very lightly textured blown vinyl, which I am now trying to cover with a strong raspberry sort of colour again silk finish. As a relatively seasoned home DIY decorator, I imagined, as with most strong colours, it would cover in two coats, maybe three at a push. However, after cleaning down the original silk emultion with pre-prep soap solution (trisodium phosphate), allowing to dry over night, even with allowing a few hours between coats, I have gotten to a seventh coat and still the original magnolia is peering through in patches. All the other rooms have accepted their new colours without any problems, but this is making me want to rip everything off and start the whole room from a fresh skim of plaster. I cant understand where the paint is actually going. It's definitely going onto the walls and it doesn't appear heavy, but it's just not covering. I'm sure I will work through the issue before I have a response as this needs finishing in the next day or two, but it would be helpful for others in the future, if you could leave any tips.

Reaction score
Hi moz30s
It sounds like you've done all the right things, but I would suspect the paint quality.
I would go with a trade quality paint, not the stuff from the likes of B&Q. even well known paint manufacturers produce two qualities, one for DIY, and one for trade use.
Try Dulux Trade, or Johnstones. If you have a problem choosing the colour, just phone the manufacturer's help line, and they will advise how to match.
I suggest cutting in first with a synthetic brush, and filling in with a microfibre roller.

Get back if you need any more help, and let's know how you get on.

Reaction score
I would go with a trade quality paint, not the stuff from the likes of B&Q. even well known paint manufacturers produce two qualities, one for DIY, and one for trade use.
Sorry for butting in on this thread, but I wondered if you could expand on this please? Do you know what the difference between consumer and trade paints is? I have just bought some paint from a Crown trade centre because I needed some colours mixed and it is trade paint. Are there any advantages like lasting longer?

Reaction score
Hi DaveMHL
Crown trade is excellent. first a bit of history - If we go back to the 50's/ 60's all paint was what we now call trade quality. there were far more manufacturers than now (Crown was then Walmamure, if I've spelled that wright). It was about that time that DIY really took off, and manufacturers of paint and just about anything to do with DIY became very big business. Just about anything was done to increase sales, adding chemicals to make brush cleaning easier, to make it easy to apply, you name it !

Things haven't changed much. In general, the retail paint has in most cases less pigment content than the trade range, and is of an entirely different formulation, although there's the same name on the tin. As for own brand stuff - don't touch it !

You may have also noticed the trade material is more expensive than the retail range, The reason is the quality.

So, yes your Crown Trade will provide you with a high quality finish. The only thing you may find is that it may be a touch more difficult to apply, but can easily be 'eased' a little if you need.

Reaction score
Thank you John, that's a very helpful answer. It sounds like going for trade paint is the way to go, as I don't mind a little extra difficulty for a better finish.

Ask a Question