Overlay hinges for picture frame

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea how picture frames concealing wall safes are hinged? Clearly you can't use a normal hinge as it would be obvious to a potential burglar, and I'm not sure if a conventional frame could host the kind of deep hole many cabinet overlay hinges require for cabinet doors - and I'm not sure if one of these would give a sufficient 'throw' anyway. I actually don't need the picture frame for a safe, but rather as a door to conceal a custom-made medicine cabinet I'm putting in to our secondary bathroom during a remodel. Initially I was going to eliminate the medicine cabinet anyway and simply hang a picture in the center of the wall - then I thought 'why not get the best of both worlds and have the shelving behind the picture?' As I see it the hinge will need to have around a 1" overlay so I can center the frame and have it open without the frame edge hitting the wall.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea how picture frames concealing wall safes are hinged? Clearly you can't use a normal hinge as it would be obvious to a potential burglar, and I'm not sure if a conventional frame could host the kind of deep hole many cabinet overlay hinges require for cabinet doors - and I'm not sure if one of these would give a sufficient 'throw' anyway. I actually don't need the picture frame for a safe, but rather as a door to conceal a custom-made medicine cabinet I'm putting in to our secondary bathroom during a remodel. Initially I was going to eliminate the medicine cabinet anyway and simply hang a picture in the center of the wall - then I thought 'why not get the best of both worlds and have the shelving behind the picture?' As I see it the hinge will need to have around a 1" overlay so I can center the frame and have it open without the frame edge hitting the wall.

Any suggestions?

No worries, I figured out how to do it using two pairs of hinges and a block of wood for each pair.

Ask a Question