Outlet question

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m a basic DIY person when it comes to electric - changing fixtures, replacing switches With dimmers and adding an outlet or two. I’m in the Process of updating part of my kitchen And I wanted to add an outlet to bees over from where one is right now.
When I shut the Power off and took out the existing outlet from the box it shows that there is three wires Already connected to it (3 hot and 3 neutral). There is space for one more But I’m not sure if I’ll be overloading the outlet at that point. Is there anyway to really tell prior to connecting it to a newly installed outlet?
FYI Walls are partially open, 15amp is why we are dealing with. I have no problem referring this to a real electrician but wanted to see if I were able to handle this myself first. I attached a picture for preference
Thanks

Attachments

Reaction score
You may need to put in a bigger box. Ideally, the wires are put together with wire nuts, with a pig-tail from each nut going to the outlet. As far as amps go, it will depend on what you will have plugged in. Just make sure you are using a 15 amp breaker or fuse.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I’m assuming I need to make sure that the wires are brought into the box 1st and then pigtailed then correct?

I have Three separate items on this outlet so how would I pigtail? Can I put all three hearts in a four port connector and same with the neutrals? From there I can then add a new outlet And use the load connections - am I right on that?

Thanks for the help again

Ask a Question