Old sheetrock repair options

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new here - bought a 1970s colonial back in June that needs a total overhaul.

I have a question on sheetrock repair/replacement. Long story short - I can see where every seam and nail patch was done in a couple of the rooms and it drives me a bit crazy. My question is is this an issue that is worth the hassle trying to fix (the likelihood I will be able to get it flat (especially the seams) or if it's just better to pull it all down and start over. I am pretty good at finishing new sheetrock installations but have never attempted to repair bad seams etc. on this scale.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
If the sheet rock is in good shape and the joints are reasonably even there is no reason to go through the work and expense of replacing it. First get your hammer out and try to sink the nailheads just slightly below the surface. If the nails aren’t seized up in the framing, this should be an easy job. When you think you have ALL the nails set, have someone else come and look to see if you missed any. Next retape over all the nails and old seams. If you aren’t experienced at drywall finishing you may want to get a professional to do this step. As projects go, this one should be quite simple and enjoyable.

Reaction score
If you take down the rock I would think you would run some more circuits. You could sand it though.

Ask a Question