Old Sears Garage Door Opener lights

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings from Oregon, the shower me state.
Since moving into our home we've had occasional difficulties with the light bulbs (2) burning out prematurely. Initially there were 2 incandescent bulbs that were burned out that we replaced with CFLs. They only lasted a few months. We then tried various pairs of incandescent from 60w to 40w. Similarly they would fail prematurely as well. Do these things normally take 'Rough Service' bulbs? Or am I looking at replacing the whole thing if I want longer bulb life?

Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid for any responses.

Gus

Reaction score
Country
United States
I stuck in a pair of GE Rough Service bulbs last week, I'll see how long they last.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe a bit of a late reply if you've already got some rough service bulbs, but LED bulbs will last you a long while (I very rarely see them blow). If you do go down the LED route, make sure to get them from a reputable name (Philips are particularly good) - as some of the cheaper/older models can give a noticeable flicker for some people (especially under fast movement). The current gen of LED bulbs are very good :).

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's good to know, thanks Ian! So far so good on those GE Rough Service ones I installed.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question