Nuisance phone calls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Most of us recognise nuisance phone calls but many still get taken in and lose life savings.

Years ago I had nuisance calls blocked and until recently we've only had the odd nuisance call each year. This morning we had four calls within an hour from a caller claiming to be our Internet service provider stating our service would be terminated within 24 hours? As I type the 5th call has just come through.

I've tried blocking the caller; hanging up; leaving the phone off the hook; letting it go to answer phone and this morning pressed "One" to hear a lady say hello three times and I didn't answer so she hung up. If this persists I'll buy a siren and blast the caller with noise; it's a common problem but so annoying.

Has anyone got ideas how to annoy these callers to torment them a bit?

It's easy to recognise one of these callers because there's always a pause as the phone is answered.

Just passing a bit of time whilst I enjoy a mug of tea. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
To a telemarketer time is money. I just pick up the phone and lay it down quietly and walk away. They will waste time talking to a dead phone. This doesn’t solve the problem but it makes me feel better. :p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Doug; yes I've been doing the same but to make them waste more time and money a couple of times I've pressed "one" and sat listening to them saying "hello" this must annoy them as much as they annoy me.

Six calls so far today from the same caller; they'll eventually get fed up and pester someone else. No peace even in retirement?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Doug; yes I've been doing the same but to make them waste more time and money a couple of times I've pressed "one" and sat listening to them saying "hello" this must annoy them as much as they annoy me.

Six calls so far today from the same caller; they'll eventually get fed up and pester someone else. No peace even in retirement?

Kind regards, Colin.
I've never had a nuisance call since 5 years ago when I signed up for TalkTalk . they have 'call safe' which is free to have as part of your package. any new caller has to say their name and you press number one to accept, they only need to do that once and their number is recorded as safe from then on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for the information Dekzion; I'm unsure if Virgin Media have such a call safe but many years ago I found a free call blocking website and it's been wonderful but now occasionally we do suffer unwanted calls; 2.00 am a few nights ago our landline phone rang but I ignored it although shortly before that at dinnertime we received a phone call and when I picked up stating my name a guy rudely said "Goodbye" They are amongst us. o_O

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The talktalk works the other way around, they have to say their name and wait whilst you get rung and given the name, you can then choose whether to let them through.
Vodafone keep on to me to move to them, but there's two reasons I wont jump (I have voda for sim only on my phone)
1 you have to change your email,, and don't let them convince you you can keep it, ask Google how long you can keep it if changing providers

2, I know call safe works beyond everything else

safe journey.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Dekzion; I'm wary of changing anything because it usually associates with hassle and lots of it; "free" website programs like converting AVI to MP3 usually draw you in getting email address etc then once in and having converted one item up pops the demand for money; some sites are excellent like https://www.gimp.org/downloads/ and https://www.emachineshop.com/free-download/ I've successfully used these for many years but it's so easy to get caught out online.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Dekzion; I'm wary of changing anything because it usually associates with hassle and lots of it; "free" website programs like converting AVI to MP3 usually draw you in getting email address etc then once in and having converted one item up pops the demand for money; some sites are excellent like https://www.gimp.org/downloads/ and https://www.emachineshop.com/free-download/ I've successfully used these for many years but it's so easy to get caught out online.

Kind regards, Colin.
We've all been there mate! you only use a comparison site once eh?!
Derek

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
To a telemarketer time is money. I just pick up the phone and lay it down quietly and walk away. They will waste time talking to a dead phone. This doesn’t solve the problem but it makes me feel better. :p
Nice approach, I like it!!

:)

Ask a Question