Newly installed radiator won't heat

Reaction score
Dear Forum,

I have had a radiator in my bathroom for ages that would not heat, I think that the valve was seized. Last week I replaced the radiator and the valves, but I cannot get the radiator to heat up. In searching the internet I cannot find any diagrammes that quite match the installation: there is a boiler (oil) heating 2 circuits, on with the radiators and the other the hot water tank, with an expansion tank in the loft feeding both. The dodgy radiator is on the hot water side of the system, which appears not to be pumped, whilst the radiators are. I assume that this was done to allow for a hot bathroom to dry washing when the central heating was switched off.

In the original installation the flow was to the top left corner of the radiator and the return from the bottom right. In my replacement the flow is bottom left and the return is bottom right. The flow pipe gets hot and the top of the radiator very slightly warm, but there is no apparent heat in the return pipe.

The original installation was done long before I bought the house, probable 30 or 40 years ago and I don't know what the conventions were then. It is definitely not single pipe. there are flow and return pipes on both sides of the system.

If anyone has any ideas of what I ought to be looking for I'd be very grateful.

Ben

Ask a Question