New water line

Reaction score
Apparently , I have a water leak , some where between the water meter ( in the alley ) to the house .

The existing line is copper , in fact , all the water piping inside the house is copper , too . I will probably install the new line to the house in PVC .

Where would I purchase the new " slip nut fitting " that attaches to the " house side " of the water meter ? The existing fitting looks to be brass / copper with the copper water line soldered to it . It unscrews like 1/2 of a union .

Or , if there are no holes in that piece of the copper pipe , do I just adapt from copper to PVC ?

I plan to keep the interior piping in copper

Thanks ,
Wyr
God Bless

Reaction score
Have been doing some online research about PEX . I might consider using it , instead of PVC ?

Opinions ?

God bless
Wyr

Reaction score
I have a 5 year old ranch style home. The builder was a plumber first. He used copper in the walls & PEX everywhere else. I had a lot of experience with copper and wasn't sure about the PEX. I spoke to him about it. He said he fought it for a while, having the same reservations, but the costs convinced him. BTW he used all top of the line stuff in the house, so don't get the wrong impression. With the initial outlay & the fact that all the connections involve a brass fittings, I'm not sure it's that much cheaper. I have to tell you I love this stuff. It's so easy to use durable. I'm a real fan. The nice thing is unlike PVC it can take more pounding.

I'm in western NY. . My meter is in my basement. The town owns the outside line & they used copper to get to the house. Though only 5 years old the town had to replace the supply line due to corrosion. They said they've had that issue I believed it was due to the soil. So on that note PEX might be a great solution. Since the outside line is yours I assume you can use what you want.? You should check local ordinances.

To your question. The way PEX works is you would buy a brass fitting that is exactly what you have today on one side & the other side is PEX. You should be able to find what you need at any hardware or home store. The PEX side is a straight ribbed male. You connect the (I assume) threaded side first, then slide the connecting a pinch clamp on the PEX pipe. Slide PEX on the male rib & crimp.

If this is the first time you're using PEX, you need to buy a cutter & crimper. The cutter is cheap & makes very nice clean cuts. Well worth it. There is a cheap tool to use to crimp. It is two pieces of heavy white metal that you place over a copper ring & then squeeze down using channel locks. Save yourself & don't buy it! Go for the PEX Cinch Clamp Fastening Toll (Apollo makes one). Mine will do up to 1" pipe & is Model 69PTBJ0010C. It's a couple bucks more but so much easier to use. Instead of a copper ring it uses a Pinch Clamp. You slide the pinch clamp 1/8" to 1/4" from the end of the PEX & squeeze the ratcheting handle until the light comes on. That's it. Simple.

I mentioned my copper line was replaced by the town. Assuming the line your replacing is buried you may have sand in your line. Turning off & on the supply may stir the sand/dirt up. It can reek havoc down stream. I had all kinds of issues with that.

Anyway good luck.

Reaction score
My understanding is there are 2 PEX crimp fittings that use " rings " ? One uses a round , black , copper ring . The other uses a pinch - crimp ring , as you describe ?

Which is preferred ? I think one of the local home improvement stores may rent a crimper , but do not know which style ?

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

Reaction score
Pinch crimp (cinch) rings style is much better.

Don't go with the copper rings. I started with the copper rings. With that you use channel locks and two pieces separate but hinged of white metal pieces onto the copper ring. So you have the ring, two pieces of white metal that are hinged and can and do fall apart. You also have the channels locks... all 4 items to balance & drop. Plus after you crimp, you use a gauge that tells you if it is crimped right. A big pain. I misaligned the channels locks and broke the hinged white metal.

After breaking the white metal piece I decided to go for the PEX Cinch Clamp Fastening Toll (Apollo Model 69PTBJ0010C) and cinch rings. You can actually use one hand. It ratchets. A light comes on when the cinch is tight enough. This tool is so easy to use. I love it.

Enjoy. God Bless,
Fred

Reaction score
I also had a similar situation and the info feedback from people on the forum is great, thanks so much for not only helping me but hopefully helping Wyr out too :)

Reaction score
I could have rented the crimp tool for the copper rings , for $ 5 - $ 10 a day . However , I ran 1"" PEX from the water meter in the alley to under the house , where I spliced in a TEE to connect to the original 3/4" copper piping .

So , I ended up buying this .

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-Multi-Head-PEX-Copper-Crimp-Ring-Tool-Kit-23100/202032966

Made 2 crimps , one at the fitting at the water meter and one at the fitting under the house . Otherwise , the tool is new . Crimps from 1" down to either 1/2" or 3/8" .

Once crimped , it is really crimped . :)

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

Ask a Question