New toilet install leak at soil pipe toilet end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am in the process of a new sink and toilet install and have fitted the toilet after fighting with the pipe to get it in the soil pipe. I fitted a McAllister flexi pipe which comes with a jubilee clip to ensure a leak free joint at the toilet end. After install I put pieces of toilet paper above the soil pipe, under the pipe and around the water inlet pipe to check for leaks . I have found that water does indeed seem to be leaking through the toilet end joint, which has the Jubilee clip. I have tried tightening it but am a bit worried about cracking the stub or breaking the clip. The soil pipe when fitted is slightly off centre horizontally but I thought they were meant for these situations. I fitted the clip at the end of the pipe but I wouldn't think this would matter?
Cheers
Dave

Attachments

Reaction score
Are you saying the flexi-pipe is a poor fit to the toilet?

You could wrap some duct tape around the porcelain stub of the outlet, before sliding on the flexi-pipe. Then refitting the jubilee clip.
Is there room for a second jubilee clip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
The flexi pipe appears to fit nice and tight and I was surprised to find water underneath the toilet I didn't notice it straight away as I thought the fill pipe that goes in above would be a problem as I was unsure how far the fill pipe should go in as it can be pushing in a long way. I saw on a video mention of 50mm? I don't think this is leaking though as the tissue I ieft on top of the soil pipe is dry. There is room for a second Jubilee clip. Do you think duct tape may help or could make it worse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I have now found out what the problem is. I contacted McAlpine yesterday and they gave me a call in the evening. It was suggested to try some plumbers mate and use a socket and wrench to tighten the Jubilee clip (I initially used a screwdriver). I gave this a go but found as I think was initially happening the pipe connector started to creep down the stub as it was tightened thus was not gripping onto the stub.

I am wondering if a push on joined to the f21r would work? I am going to the B&Q store today where I purchased the toilet to check if a push on stays on the toilet in the store if it does I may purchase it and if it falls off mine I think I may have to return the toilet. However, I am hoping I will not need to do this

cheers
Dave

Attachments

Reaction score
I think I have now found out what the problem is. I contacted McAlpine yesterday and they gave me a call in the evening. It was suggested to try some plumbers mate and use a socket and wrench to tighten the Jubilee clip (I initially used a screwdriver). I gave this a go but found as I think was initially happening the pipe connector started to creep down the stub as it was tightened thus was not gripping onto the stub.

I am wondering if a push on joined to the f21r would work? I am going to the B&Q store today where I purchased the toilet to check if a push on stays on the toilet in the store if it does I may purchase it and if it falls off mine I think I may have to return the toilet. However, I am hoping I will not need to do this

cheers
Dave

If it's creeping down, a turn or two of duct tape would give it a better purchase and stop it sliding down.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have been to B&Q and managed to catch one of the staff who man the Bathroom design desks. I mentioned to him the problems and asked to have a look at another toilet-typically they do not stock the toilet as it has to be ordered in. I did however manage to get another complete sink plumbing kit as I mentioned that the one supplied was leaking. I had a look down the plumbing isle and managed to get chatting to a retired plumber who suggested to go with a flexi push on rather than the jubilee clip type. I have purchased one for £11 and if it works I am going to clean up the £23 one from Screwfix and see if I can get a refund. I didn't think a toilet would be so much hassle to install. I also have a sticking flowmaster cistern which I may have to take off and get exchanged. I will let you know the outcome. Thanks for all the help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Finally managed to sort it out. The £11 flexible Wirquin pipe from B&Q appears to have worked. I only wish I had gone for one of these first but was taken in by all the positive reviews for the McAlpine flex @ £23. The Flowmaster sticking seems to have sorted itself out, and I have replaced the existing isolator that was leaking- do you find when these have been in a while and used to switch the water off that they tend to leak afterwards? I have had this happen several times in the past.

The Cooke and Lewis sink waste kit pipe size seems strange? I needed a length of straight pipe to replace the useless flexi waste pipe but found that a solvent weld was much too big to fit into the elbow joint. A push fit pipe was just able to fit but when a straight fitting was checked against the 32mm elbow that I purchased it was too small and would not seal? Luckily I didn't need to do this

Reaction score
Very surprising to get a leak on a a bog pan outlet and adapter. Generally nothing like Jubilee clips are needed. I've only ever seen them on underground soil pipes, generally clay, as repair sleeves
People often get into trouble mixing pushfit and solvent weld pipes, but I'm not suggesting this was the case. A lot of ceramic stuff now comes in as unbranded stuff from China (china from China) and can either be a bit rough or the wrong size.
Even more surprised with such a posh brand as Cooke and Lewis.
I would avoid any sealing with tape or silicone, on anything - far better to see what's causing the problem in the first place.
Considering it's not even a pressure joint, something must have been awry in the first place.
Yes, isolators can often leak after using after a long rest. The 'O' ring either rots or disintegrates. Another problem that a lot of these valves are poor quailty and pit in hard water, especially if the ball is brass and not stainless. An isolator is important enough to warrant paying a bit more. Pegler valves are still quite good, but any valve needs "exercising" at least once a year to avoid seizing up. I try to avoid screwdriver types and get lever operated valves. If you are strapped for space, remove the lever and attach when needed, or use a wrench.

Ask a Question