New kitchen cabinet paint clashes with counter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I just finished painting our standard 1990s oak kitchen cabinets. The color is called Pussy Willow and it’s basically a gray color. The cabinets look great and I couldn’t be happier with their new appearance but then I noticed the color doesn’t look very good with the counter. The counter is looking more brown up against the gray and it stands out in a bad way. Is there a way to fix this without repainting or changing the counter? Do you think if I painted the cabinet box faces the wall color it would soften the clashing effect? Thanks so much, Kathy

Attachments

Reaction score
I don’t think the color match is all that bad. The problem is that there is such a stark dividing line where they meet. The easiest way to overcome this would be to get a couple of accessories to sit on the counter and paint them to match the cupboard doors. Not a perfect solution but much cheaper than new counter tops.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is countertop paint out there and it's fairly easy to do. One I now of is made by Giani and comes in several different color options. I believe it runs about $70 for a kit that covers 35 sq ft.

Reaction score
I'd have not considered the colours clashed if you hadn't mentioned it. In attempting to change things you could end up making it look worse.

I've mentioned something like this before.

But it's the same situation.

Probably at the moment, no one else notices it, but you do.

Give it six months and you'll stop noticing it too.

If you want to see a real colour clash, see our kitchen. Grey, brown and pink. The tiles have a metalic look finish, so sometimes they look grey, other times, green or brown, depending on the light. It doesn't bother us.

PA040060.JPG

Ask a Question