New Game in Town?

Reaction score
Over the last two weeks I have been getting window replacement quotes only for a future purchase in less than six months, which I made very clear when I called each window company. What I need are five half round fixed windows, one fixed picture frame window and the rest double hung. What am I seeing is a 90 minute presentation going over all window types. Even though the quotes are from totally different window companies, the sales pitch goes like this, after measuring all of the windows. I am told this quote is good for one year. Here is where it gets a little interesting and the pressure begins to increase. I am told, "If you can make a decision today, while I am still here, with no money down, I can lower the price by 50%." I come back and say, "but sir, I am waiting on three different quotes, all to be done the following week." At this point I let the salesman know, how offended I am, because if I accepted the first offer, it would have cost me double. At this point I am ready to throw him out of my house. It is almost as bad as buying a new car dealing with the car salesman. It now seems the window companies I am dealing with have taken on the same business model as the car dealerships have been using for ever. I am now at the point of just buying the windows and installing them myself.

Reaction score
It's always the same with some salesman.
When I bought my car, new from a main dealer's, the salesman was giving me hard time trying to beat me down on what I considered to be a fair price on my PX which I'd bought from them. It seemed like he thought he was doing me a favour selling me a car.
In the end I said, "Look I don't like your attitude, find me another salesman."
He seemed stunned at first, then tried to tell me "that if I wanted to buy a car, I had to buy it through him."
I could have walked out, maybe others had, but I then said, "Either you find me another salesman, or I go to see the manager and get him to find me one."
His attitude changed immediately, but I still made him find me someone else, in the end I got a good deal.
I wondered if that had ever happened to him before.

Reaction score
A lot of companies now use prepackaged computer programs for quoting and sales. This way companies can hire far less qualified personnel and pay them much less than a competent tradesman.

Ask a Question