New dishwasher grounding wire

Reaction score
I recently bought a new dishwasher to replace the old one my home came with. It looked like the ground wire of the old machine was just wrapped around the bracket on the dishwasher. Now, I'm at a loss as far as how to connect the ground on the new machine. Shouldn't it be connected to a dedicated ground wire? I only have a hot and neutral coming from the house. Please see attached pictures and advise. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Attachments

Reaction score
What you have there is a complete circuit. Red would be hot, White would be neutral and the Ground is being supplied by the metal shell of the BX cable.

Reaction score
oh jeez, as a complete novice I wasn't aware the metal casing served that function. so I can connect the washer black to the red house wire, white washer to white house. how should i connect the exposed end of the green wire from the dishwasher? thank you for last response and in advance for any future help!

Reaction score
The easiest way would be to strip back some of the insulation and using a hose clap. secure it to the outer shell.

Reaction score
I would be careful using the tube as a grounded conductor. The continuity to earth ground may have been comprimised if others have removed wiring or modified the home electrical system. If your home has copper plumbing you can connect the ground with a hose clamp to the cold water line

Reaction score
Again, don't touch. The metal parts of something like a washing machine have to be grounded - there are exceptions to things, like power tools that are described as double insulated that don't have an earth. Looking at your photos, the earth conductor has come adrift from where it was attached to the casing (worrying). I would ditch the old machine but don't sell it to someone without point out the fault. If it had an appliance safety test, it would fail. I can't see the bracket in detail, but is the white conductor covering a screwhead? Are there strands of wire showing under what looks like a washer? With most modern machines, say in the last 40-years, the supply cable with a molded plug is all you need to touch. IF you wanted to repair it, I would crimp a ring terminal onto the earth wire and get it under a screw attached to the bracket. Scary.

Reaction score
I would be careful using the tube as a grounded conductor. The continuity to earth ground may have been comprimised if others have removed wiring or modified the home electrical system. If your home has copper plumbing you can connect the ground with a hose clamp to the cold water line
Excellent point. Just because it looks like properly connected AC cable does not mean it actually is.

Reaction score
This dishwasher is brand new so if there is an issue with the circuitry then I'll have to take it back. In this picture the white wire is obscuring the view of the screw connected to the ground. I'll get a better picture soon and hopefully that will better represent the set up.

Ask a Question