Most frequent DIY tools used?

Reaction score
Good Morning Folks

Can you kind folks out there tell me the most frequent DIY tools you use in the house i.e. screw driver, hammer, drill etc, and which one is the most difficult to use?

Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use a screwdriver all the time, so that's the most frequent for me :).

As for the most difficult, none of them are particularly hard to use - but my adjustable wrench could be a bit more user friendly if it was re-designed.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Ian.

Any further responses greatly apreciated.

Reaction score
Well it largely depends on what work you are doing! If its plumbing, you'll hardly use a multimeter just as if its framing your not likely to use a wrench. So for general DIY, hammer, screwdriver, utility knife, hacksaw, adjustable wrench, pliers, some sockets and ratchet with different attachments (extensions, swivels and adapters). That should help you through the most common tasks.

Reaction score
As said above, the most useful tool is the one the works for the job in hand.

However, I would say that the most useful tool I have ever bought, especially when fitting my kitchen and bathroom, is a plunge saw. Accurate cuts in a straight line; wonderful!

Reaction score
Hi Geek84... do you mean specifically inside the home, and not in the garage?
If that's the case then screwdriver, hammer, power drill are all used regularly.
Spirit level is used quite a bit too.

Of course you'll probably be getting through a lot of consumables too if you're planning some home improvements... sandpaper, paint...
As for the garage, that's a different beast entirely if you have an interest in autos

Reaction score
Many thanks for your response, Zanco.

Yes, I do mean inside the home. Are there any specific tools that you do have problems/issues when using? Is there any way they can be improved?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Thank for you replies. I'm sorry for getting back to you so late, but I haven't been feeling well for the last few days.

Do any of you have problems using common DIY tools such as :

Hammer, Screw Driver, Tape Measure, Spirit Level, Utility Knife, Putty Knife, Nail Set, Pliers, Wire Stripper, Power tension Cord?

Thanks

Reaction score
Geek84,

Since you list a tape measure, whilst I don't have difficultly with using them, it does annoy me that usually, they have both metric and imperial and the point I want to measure is generally on the imperial side.

The best I have found is the Advent Visa Versa. https://www.thetapestore.co.uk/tape...vent-vice-versa-dual-read-tape-5m-atm4-5025vv Easy to read from either side, left or right and from below. It makes measuring so much easier.

Reaction score
Many thanks for you respones, folks.

The reason why I started this thread is to find out if anyone else has difficulty doing DIY or is it just me.

I am totally hopeless at DIY - I break things more than I fix them !!! If any of you have seen the comedy series Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em, then I'm not far off from the main character - Frank Spencer.

Irv

Reaction score
The most useful DIY tool I've ever found is free, and available at your local library :)

Lots of books, just browse through them until you find one you understand, and go from there.

Irv

Reaction score
Perhaps you are right, it may be better to just blunder along until you cause some major damage, and have to call in a professional to fix your mess.

Irv

Reaction score
You'll find that more or less half of the professionals do not have the proper skills or knowledge to "fix" things either. They're blundering along without a clue. So it helps to have some idea about what they should be doing.

Case in point: my whole-house generator ceased to work. Would not start, so I checked the starter relay, which worked. Checked to see that the starter motor was getting voltage. It was, but wasn't spinning.

So I call the factory - authorized dealer. Who spent two hours replacing all the parts (except the starter), then gave up, called in reinforcements. Two weeks and $300 later, factory rep replaces the starter motor.

I had told them at least once every half hour that the starter motor was bad.

Next time, I buy a starter motor off E-Bay and replace it myself. Save $200, don't pass go.

Now, this isn't advice for everyone. If you don't think you are capable of figuring things out for yourself, then by all means don't.

Last edited:

Ask a Question