Morso squirrel stove problem

Reaction score
I have a Morso squirrel stove which has been running problem free for 22 years, recently there has been a general feeling that it was not running as well as it used to, on investigating I found that the door latch was not engaging correctly, it does not go fully down to the almost vertical position and indeed if you don't give it a hefty push it sometimes pops out and the door is then open.
I have checked everything visually, the door and it's seal, the catch is a roll pin and this is corroded at one side but I slipped a small screw through the roll pin to check it's alignment and it seems ok, the door does not seem to get to the position where the hook on the catch engages fully to close the door.
The one thing I did note to my horror was that the baffle plate is badly burned and will need replaced along with the fire bricks which led me to question whether I have superheated the stove at some point and caused the whole thing to warp, although there are no obvious signs of this nor any cracks in the body of the stove.
Before I go ahead and spend money on parts I would like to get to the bottom of the problem with the door catch, does anyone have experience or an opinion on this?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Blair Ritchie

Ask a Question