More technical problem - drilling cast iron?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wood burned baffle plate has M6 thread with stuck in stud. I've got to drill the stud out and redo the thread (assumption but I know the thread will not be all that good after the drilling). The hole is blind but i could drill straight through and seal with past. What sort of tap and drill will do it into cast iron. It's M6 but I might go to M8 is things get a bit messed up. Thanks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You could try screw extractors - a set costs a few quid from any decent hardware/DIY store. With luck you may get the stuck screw out without too much damage to the threads; if not, a plug tap should clean up the threads nicely - they are designed to tap blind holes, just make sure to remove the swarf every half turn or so.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks. Well I mucked up one hole so filed them both down and solved by using the removable back-plate with a countersunk bolt. Works great and more easily maintainable.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, good, glad you sorted it. Most stuff these days is built to a price rather than for ease of maintenance but most DIY'ers will find a way round problems like this, and most work better than the original design without detracting from the looks or functionality.

Ask a Question