Matching paint from different batches?

Reaction score
Hello diy-forums,

I bought in some floor paint last week, but it turns out that the coverage was nowhere near that expected from the instructions on the tin (even after sealing the floor first). I went back to get another tin, but it is from a different batch. Is it likely that I'll have a colour difference on the floor?

I have a little of the first tin left, so I will mix this with the 2nd to at least improve things.

Reaction score
Hi flintlock

You're doing the right thing by mixing in what's left. I would expect to get about 10 to 12 metres per litre of solvent based on a floor, and should always be applied in two coats. It sounds like you are trying to paint the floor with just one coat, what does it say in the info on the can ? What have you sealed it with ?

Reaction score
Thanks John, the tin says 11 meters per litre so you are spot-on!

I used some "Wilkinson" concrete floor sealer: http://www.wilko.com/interior-paint+gloss/wilko-concrete-sealer-clear-25l/invt/0342003. It went down nice and easy, so I'm quiet pleased with that part. For the paint I used some heavy duty grey garage floor paint from Leyland. I've just pained the rest of the floor using the mix of the two, but it's still wet so I can't see the colour match yet. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Ask a Question