Linseed oil paint disaster

Reaction score
We bought a new oak front door 2 years ago and it was painted before it arrived with 3 coats of linseed oil paint. We were told that no maintenance was required until 6 years when we should apply a coat of warmed linseed oil and then 6 years later a single coat of linseed oil paint.

Unfortunately in only 2 years the paint has failed and is now faded and flaking off. My guess is it was badly applied and due to the 24 hour drying time required for each coat I would ideally like to move to "ordinary" paint instead. My decorator though tells me that now we have linseed oil paint on our door he will not be able to put "normal" paint on top, even if it is sanded down completely, as the oil will have permeated the wood and will seep out potentially bubbling and spoiling the new paint surface.

Is anyone out there aware of a product which will seal the surface and block the oil from seeping out, similar to a knot sealer maybe. Has anyone else had this problem????? Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you.

Ask a Question