Light water leak from sink drain assembly

Reaction score
So the other day I nudged the p or s trap from below the bathroom sink, causing it to leak. Actually, the traps used in our building are called bottle traps, according to a search I did. It's basically the same but they are a bit large and longer than the average p or s trap. It took me a good part of the day to remove the part and replace it.

In doing so, I must have loosened something in the popup drain assembly because now there is a leak at the base of the bottom of the sink. I also somehow managed to crack the surface of the sink (the flat part below the faucet, not the curved area).

After watching a few vids, I decided to try and undo it and tighten the sink drain assembly so now instead of a leak, there is a drop that builds up around the base. I'm good with that. I don't trust myself to take it apart again without doing damage to something else.

I'm wondering if there is a way to temporarily seal this area for a couple of months since our landlord will be coming by to have a bunch of stuff done.

I was thinking of sealing the area off with silicone putty or waterproof epoxy putty but I don't know if that would work.

Reaction score
maybe plumbers putty if you can take the drain assembly apart and get it in there

Ask a Question