Light switch problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i recently moved in to an old house (has new circuit box but not replaced the hard copper wire) when you walk in the front door there is a 3 gang switch
1st switch = switches 1 light on the other end of the hall and this can also be turned on/off from another 1 gang switch the other end of the hall
3rd switch= switches the light on by the front door and the upstairs landing light again there is a 1 gang switch upstairs that will switch both theses lights on/off
2nd switch = doesn't do any think so i unscrewed the switch to see if there was a loose wire - i think this switch should operate just the light by the front door as you don't need the upstairs light coming on every time you open the front door.
unfortunately the back of the switch i have not seen before there appears to be 4 terminals with wire on the top row but 5 terminals with wires on the bottom row with mixed colours top and bottom, i have attached a few pictures.
any help, advice or suggestions to resolve this will be very much appreciated thanks rob

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The colours are to be expected with 2-way switching

1642332116849.gif

Diagram showing the old wiring colours like wot you have:

1642332167445.gif

The reason you have a row of 4 terminals and a row of 5 is that the 3 switches are arranged like this (you can see the dividing lines marking them out in the moulding).

1642334699967.png

Only one light is connected at this switch - the others will be wired to the other 2-way switches.

If one pair of switches is controlling 2 lights and you want to split them, then you'll need to do some rewiring somewhere.

Ask a Question