Let’s be proud of our respective countries.

Reaction score
This isn’t really about being proud but I needed a catchy title to get people to read this. It really annoys me when people ask for advice but don’t indicate where they are located. Certain advice that may be good for someone in Florida may be disastrous for someone living in Canada. It does no good to recommend a tool that runs at 60 hertz (cps) to someone who lives in a country with 50 hertz power. There is also the consideration of building codes. Letting others know your location will not only get you more accurate information but might improve the chances of getting a response at all.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Very well said Doug. :)

Many join the forum only to ask a specific question but give minimal details whilst expecting an easy solution to their problem.

Describing something by text alone is often difficult especially when the person asking has little or no knowledge of the subject; pictures are not compulsory but certainly help a great deal and as you say Doug location is important this needn't be a street name but a rough idea of location.

It's better to ask a question than to take a chance and causing a lot of damage or even serious injury so novices are very welcome indeed after all everyone started at the bottom.

New members often ask a question being replied to by member trying to help; this member can spend ages trying to compose text that makes the answer easy to understand and if pictures are added these pictures often have to be found taking time; it's then disappointing to the member who has gone to so much time and trouble not to receive the courtesy of a thanks?

I'm a member of a number of forums and often consider not replying to new members questions until the new member has say ten posts to their credit.

I'd like to read every thread/post but this is impossible due to the amount of time it would take and I'd like to say sorry to any member I've not replied to.

Let's be proud of our respective countries is a good title Doug; I'm hugely proud of the UK knowing it to be so good the world is trying to move here? :) Our little bit of West Yorkshire is where we were born and when the sun shines we think there's no better place on the planet; in spite of the increasing gun and knife crimes the UK is a pretty safe place to be in; we don't have lots of snakes or animals that would attack us or indeed other things to harm us as found in other countries; our land is green and lush; we have an over generous benefits system and our FREE National Health Service is brilliant. The UK is a nice place and we've a lot to be proud about.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
I'd be happier if a new contributor who asks for advice, always responds when given some.
So often someone will search a number of sites and ask questions of them all. Then when they find the first with a response that satisfies them, they don't bother to come back to other sites and present the solution, it's just not a case of etiquette it's so that others with a similar question can also be informed.

But that's just message boards foir you.

Reaction score
A specific location would help to give better advice. No doubt about it. Most people are just probably too much in a rush to explain or something...

Ask a Question