Knockout Punch Kit

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased a Greenlee Knockout Punch Kit and I've been feeling rather proud of myself about it. But I realized that my electrical panel has plenty of perforated knockouts already, and apparently one only needs a screwdriver and pliers (and maybe a little patience) to punch those out.

Is the purpose of the knockout punch kit strictly for situations where there is no perforated knockout? Or do the pros ignore those perforated knockouts and tap their own holes for some reason?

Anybody have any insights into this?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Normally most electricians will use the existing knockouts on a panel, and we only use a knockout set when the existing knockouts are not the right size or location or in industrial situations where there are no existing knockouts and even there most time we use a unibit to drill a hole for 1/2" and 3/4" connectors and only use a punch for 1" and up as you need to drill a 1/2" anyways to use the punch.

Ask a Question