Kitchen oven and induction hob install query 2021

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a gas hob and an electric oven, but I am planning to install a new electric oven and an induction hob.

My Electricity supplies for these appliances each have a 32amp RCB, although one is run in 6mm and the other in 2.5mm. These run to the above the kitchen counter, where there is 1 single fused switch and 1 double neon cooker switch.

From there they run under the counter to a single 3-pin plug (13amp) and a single cooker outlet for the appliance to be hard wires into.

My problem is the induction hob is 6.9KW and has 2 live wires and 2 neutral wires and an earth, and the oven is 3.5KW. The oven does not have terminals to be hard wired into, it has a 3-pin kettle plug and it came with a wires to plug into it with bare wires on the end, for this to be hard wired into the cooker outlet.

I think I may be able to avoid getting the hob’s electrics upgraded to 6mm twin & earth by having the hob connected to the old oven outlet and connecting the new 3.5KW oven to the old hob socket (but hard wired into it).

How can I work out what size cable should be used for a 6.9KW appliance and a 3.5KW appliance? I know distance is a factor, so the cable run from consumer unit to the switches above the counter is 4.5m, then another 0.5 – 1m to under the counter.

I am happy to do the labour of running new cabling from my kitchen to the consumer unit as it would require partially removing my kitchen cupboards and counter, chasing out the wall and then making good, etc, which would leave connection to the consumer unit to him. But I would prefer to avoid this and I think I may be able to just swap the electrical supplies for the old oven & hob for the new hob & oven, then I’d just re-label them myself on the consumer unit.

I have spoken to a local electrician who helped me before when I wanted to run power to my outside shed and he agreed that I could do all the manual, physical labour of running the armoured cable, installing the consumer unit, wiring up the lights, the ring main in the shed, etc and just leave the connection of the armoured to my consumer unit in the house for him to do (after visually checking all of my work in the shed).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For anyone interested in the resolution to this, here it is.

The hob is 6.9KW, so the calculation for amps gives us just under 33amps.

The same calculation for the 3.45KW oven gives us 16amps.

I went ahead and used the 6mm twin & earth for the hob and the 2.5mm twin & earth for the oven.

I installed new outlets for each appliance (1 x 45amp & 1 x 20amp) and changed the isolators above the counter to 45amp & 20amp and I changed the RCB in the consumer unit from 32amp to 40amp.

After testing, it all worked out fine and the appliances are now installed and in use.

Hope this helps anyone in the future.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question